Thursday, November 10, 2011

Permaculture!

I had a lot of plans for what I was supposed to get done today and all I did was research permaculture. Personality-wise, I see things as very inter-connected. I don't see things in simple cause and effect or isolated at all, I see everything as having connections with everything (I know this vague, but maybe if you imagine me pinchingephemeral little dots in the air and pretending to make little connections through them then maybe this makes more sense).
This is exactly the strength of permaculture! The strength in permaculture is the connections, not the specific elements. Wikipedia (click the image for the link) actually had a lot of information on permaculture that is easy to understand.
Today was mostly spent understanding the basic concepts behind permaculture, and flitting around the internet trying to identify the experts, location of high concentration of permaculturists, and types of movements.
Permaculture explained in my own words:
Permaculture is basically what nature does. Look at a forest for example. It requires no human labor, produces no waste, yet it thrives. What a permaculturist does, is mimic this system, except with more edible varieties that perform the same functions. In a permaculture garden, it is not the individual elements that are important, it is the relationships between them that are. A single element can perform different functions. For example: birds serve as pest control, insects and seeds are sources of phosphates and when the birds eat them, they are distributing phosphates by pooping everywhere. Fungi distribute nitrates (I think) while also protected plant species from diseases. The goal is complete sustainability, with minimum intervention from humans. The disadvantage is that it takes years and years to get it there, because you can't simply copy the design from another location. The designs are very specific to each site.

I tried to find hosts that could teach me about permaculture and I only found one that excited me, which is a lady who teaches permaculture courses. I am still excited to work on other farms, because realisically, it is going to be a while before Ryan and I will settle down to put in all the work to design one. So traditional farming methods will have to be used in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment