Sunday, October 16, 2011

Faith

In recent written conversation with a friend, the personal issues we have with Mormon doctrine came up. I remember something I heard from local artist Brian Kershisnik who spoke of art-making. What he had to say connected art-making to being a similar experience of being a faithful member of the Mormon church and believer in Christ.
To paraphrase, he said that belief wavers. Your relationship between different doctrines changes and your belief will waver. Faith is the difference between belief and action. It evens things out. Belief in art wavers, and the difference between art-making and not making art is faith. 
I thought that was so beautiful. That is why faith is so important. It is nice to know but it is more important to have faith. Which also explains why faith without works is dead.
With this field study and with my art-making, I feel like I have had to have so much faith. I am not sure why I am making art to be honest, but I know I should be doing it. I question it often and my belief in the importance of this project and the importance of art wavers often. But I can't deny that what I am doing is right, and so I continue and the only thing left is to figure out the why. And I can't discover the why without acting, without working and moving my hands...
This happens a lot with my testimony in my religion. So often, I don't know why. Sometimes the why's I do know don't always satisfy. Sometimes I disagree with the why's. And it is not until I seriously work that I can even begin to hope to find out why it was so important. At that point, I am extremely grateful for faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment