Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Creative Habit

I have been reading Twila Tharp's "The Creative Habit". It is amazinnnnnnng! If you can imagine what it is about, it is about how to make creativity a habit and why that is important. She uses her own tactics and those of her friends which she uses to illustrate her ideas. It is excited (and sometimes depressing) realizing how much I could improve my process. Sometimes depressing because I am further off than I thought I was and exciting because that is now much my work will improve if I improve my process. Sometimes, I think to myself, "I don't have to do it her way to be creative! I can do it my own way!" but she acknowledges that. I really appreciate an artist going through this process of pinpointing theories and ideas about essentially how to be creative. I have started gathering information about the psychology and/or philosophy of creativity. It is a heady topic.
I realized a bit ago that none of this is really about Byzantine art. I also recently came to the realization that this is not really about painting. I do love painting, but I am really hung up/interested in the creative process. So I am going to paint 500 paintings to learn about it.
So I have been reading the Creative Habit, I also am reading the "Courage to Create" which is so fascinating. Did I mention that I was a psychology major for a while? I have not checked but I may not be far off from a psychology minor. I switched not because I didn't love it but because I struggled learning that way. Whatever it is about grades and not caring about them and forcing class room assignments to my will is how I learn. I was getting horrible grades in psychology but I was still learning a ton and loved it.
Anyways, I am considering including a credit of writing in my course work and want to find more articles about psychology and creativity.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!




^That was me being excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment