Sunday, October 9, 2011

Peaches

Yesterday, I was thinking about how I am going to Europe to make paintings and draw. That is basically heaven for me. I started thinking about how few people in the history of the world have had that same opportunity. I started asking myself the question, "If I have a delicious peach (home-grown peaches being my favorite fruit), can I eat the peach knowing that millions of people out there can't have peaches?" I started asking myself all these questions, using a peach as a metaphor for everything that I have from being born as a middle-class American. I wouldn't eat a peach in front of millions of people who don't have peaches. But am I eating my peach in the next room? Are my actions influenced by my belief that in the after life, we will all have peaches? Would my actions change if I didn't believe there was an after life? Would I just eat all the peaches that I could? How do I treat a peach, knowing that I didn't work harder than anyone else for this peach? How do I treat a peach knowing that there are people who slave in other parts of the world for me to have easy access to peaches? Do I try to share it or just plain give it away? At this point, I feel constant guilt and can't even enjoy my peach because I know that other people don't have them. Should I try to enjoy it? Do I speak out against the problems with slavery in other parts of the world, but while still eating my peach? Is the person who noisily sucks on their peach in front of people without peaches any better or worse than somebody who quietly enjoys their peach in another room? Not enjoying my peach doesn't give anybody else a peach. Is it enough to just share my peach with as many people as I can?
I asked myself all these questions while sucking on an In & Out milkshake.

No comments:

Post a Comment